Chain of Survival in Adults (American Heart Association)
The term Chain of Survival provides a useful metaphor for performing effective CPR.
The 5 links in the adult Chain of Survival are;
• Immediate recognition of cardiac arrest and activation of 911 (Confirm unconsciousness and lack of breathing)
• Early cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) with an emphasis on chest compressions
• Rapid defibrillation with an AED (automatic external defibrillator)
• Effective advanced life support (Paramedic-level response)
• Integrated post-cardiac arrest care (Hospital treatment)
A strong Chain of Survival can improve chances of survival and recovery for victims of heart attack, stroke and other emergencies.
Get involved and do bystander CPR before 911 resources arrive- you can save a life!
Chain of Survival, see www.heart.org for more information.